The Corner Bistro
34 (corner): A cozy pub that is often
said to have the best cheeseburger
in New York. It's been a bar since the 1870s; during
prohibition, it masqueraded as a butcher shop, with
patrons entering the drinking area through the refrigerator.
The building dates to 1828.
32: An 1829 building that has been
defaced by stucco.
30: A two-story coachhouse from 1870.
28: A one-story building built in
1913-14 and expanded to the rear in 1921.
Leo Design Studio is on the ground floor.
24-26: These five-story stone buildings
were put up in 1885-86 for two brothers, James and Isaac Lowe.
22: Two-story coachhouse built in 1868.
16: This five-story apartment building
went up in 1887 and was completely remodeled in
1939. Two murals by
Tony Sarg, illustrator and
puppeteer who created the first Macy's Thanksgiving
Parade balloons, used
to decorate the lobby; apparently only part of
one survives. The rooftop's ventilation hardware
was transformed into whimsical animal sculptures
in the 1940s or '50s, which may or may not still
10-14: The site of the Castle Garage,
a 1910 warehouse storing whiskey and flash
powder that burned for five days
in 1922, killing two firefighters. Now condos
that do not open on Jane.
4-8: Three three-story Greek Revival
buildings from 1843. 8 was damaged in the
1922 fire ; 4
is somewhat altered in appearance.
2 (corner): Six-story apartments with
rounded bay windows were built in 1903; on the
ground floor is Benny's Burritos,
tasty local chain.