Corner (11 E Houston): Now a parking lot, this address was once the site of
The National, the top venue in Yiddish theater.
126: Used bookstore that raises money
for the AIDS support and advocacy organization,
noted for fighting City Hall--and
winning. It's a beautiful, high-ceilinged
space; FAIR used to have a speaker series here.
Corner (568-578 Broadway):
Armani Exchange is in an
1890s Renaissance Eclectic building
George B. Post, architect of the New York Stock
Exchange. This was built on the site of Niblo's Garden,
one of New York's longest-standing theaters--built in
1827 as the Sans Souci, it was rebuilt after several
fires and was finally demolished in 1895. It featured
actors like Edwin Forrest and orators like Daniel
Webster (who spoke here in 1837), but it is most famous
for the 1866 premier of
The Black Crook, which
some consider to be the first musical. It was a huge hit,
being the first Broadway show to run more than a year.
After 1852, the theater was part of the
Metro- politan Hotel, one of the city's most
luxurious; Japanese Crown Prince Tateish Onojero
stayed here in 1860. The hotel bartender,
Professor Jerry Thomas, is immortalized
as the creator of the Tom and Jerry cocktail.