69 (corner): Formerly Balducci's gourmet
market; started in 1916 as a Brooklyn pushcart,
it moved in 1972 to this
location. In 1999 family squabbles forced
the sale of the business to a
D.C.-based chain, which went under when its "Balducci.com" scheme
fell victim to the dot.com bust. Now in the
space is another local gourmet
grocery chain owned by Joe Guerra, who got
his start wrapping flounder
at the Fulton Fish Market; he has a
reputation as a union-buster.
Barbra Streisand had an apartment here
when she was playing The Lion. The 13-story
building is from 1956--perhaps one of the
first of the hideous white-brick apartment
buildings that went up in that era.
9th Street PATH Station
Underneath No. 69 is the entrance to New York City's
other subway system--the
Port Authority Trans-Hudson,
which connects the southwest portion of Manhattan
to Hoboken, Jersey City and Newark. Opened in 1907
as the Hudson & Manhattan Railroad, it was taken
over by the Port Authority in 1962.
61: Windsor Arms, a nine-story
''vaguely Georgian'' building built in 1926.
An interesting diamond pattern in the brickwork.
35: A nine-story apartment building
Anais Nin lived here in the
early 1950s. Later poet
Marianne Moore lived
here, in Apartment 7B,
from 1966 until her death in 1972.
created Where the Wild Things Are here.
These four-story buildings, built 1870, were from 1877 until 1905
the Hotel Giffrou, operated by Madame Marie
Giffrou, a French widow. A bohemian refuge,
the hotel was frequented by French and Spanish
artists, as well as literary figures like
Mark Twain, William Dean Howells and
Thomas A. Janvier.
Ocean's 21, Rat Pack-themed
restaurant at No. 19, was Marylou's, Nat Simon's Penguin.
15: Four stories dated 1855.
Corner (24 5th Ave): This
15-story building was the
Fifth Avenue Hotel,
a 1922 effort by Emery Roth. Built on site
of the Brevoort House, home of
Henry Brevoort Jr., the finest house
on 5th Avenue when it was built in 1834
(perhaps designed by
Ithiel Town and Alexander Jackson
Now houses Cru, featuring a 222-page wine
list with 3,820 vintages, based on the 65,000-bottle
collection of Roy Welland, who owned Washington Park,
the restaurant that used to be here. Before that (not
so long ago) it was
Rose Cafe & Bar, featured in As Good as It Gets;
earlier known as 24 Fifth.