12th Ave | 11th Ave | 10th Ave |
9th Ave | 8th Ave | 7th Ave |
6th Ave | Broadway | |
5th Ave |
Park Ave S | Lexington | 3rd Ave |
2nd Ave | 1st Ave
609: Ruby Falls is a warehouse-turned-nightclub
that doubles as an art gallery.
Coral Room; this ocean liner-themed
bar--a former warehouse--features a 35-foot-long,
10,000 gallon aquarium with 200 fish and sometimes
a scantily clad mermaid.
Bridging the street here is a disused elevated railroad that was used to transport
freight along the Westside waterfront, replacing the street-level tracks at 10th and 11th avenues that earned those roads the nickname "Death Avenue." Built in 1929 at a cost of $150 million
(more than $2 billion in today's dollars), it originally
stretched from 35th Street to St. John's Park Terminal,
now the Holland Tunnel rotary.
Partially torn down in
1960 and abandoned in 1980, it now stretches from Gansevoort almost
to 34th--mostly running mid-block, so built to avoid
dominating an avenue with an
elevated platform. In its abandonment, the High Line
became something of a natural wonder, overgrown with
weeds and even trees, accessible only to those who risked
trespassing on CSX Railroad property.
In 2009 it was
opened to the public as New York City's newest park; it truly
transforms its neighborhood and hence the city. This section of the park was opened to visitors in 2011.
Block (314 10th Ave): Abandoned-looking building is Morgan South,
an annex to the main post office that is used for
mail transport and sorting operations. An employee
explains that it looks abandoned in part because of
"the grafitti-proof paint they used: Spray-paint doesn't stick to it ... and
it doesn't stick very well to anything else, i.e. the structure itself."
Morgan Processing and Distribution Center
Twenty million pieces of mail for
Manhattan and the Bronx are processed
at this Postal Service facility every day.
During the anthrax attacks of 2001,
spores were discovered in barcoding machines
here; despite a lawsuit from the postal union,
the building was never shut down for cleaning.
This block between 8th and 9th avenues was once called
Lamartine Place, separately numbered from the rest of the street.
317: Was the address of the Petipas' sisters
boardinghouse, where painter
John Butler Yeats (father of the poet) lived. John
Sloan painted Yeats and Petipas, showing him dining there
with artists and literary figures.
260 (corner): Biricchino; snug Northern Italian, noted
for its sausages.
252: NY School of Dry Cleaners; Tiecrafters ("custom
tiemakers since 1952"); American Barber Institute
250: Professional Security Bureau Ltd.
Jean Claude Mastroianni, eclectic designer and vintage shop;
offers relics like Liillian Russell's kimono and the burlap
suitcase Jackie Kennedy took to India in 1962.
212: Altered Stages; home to the 29th Street
249: Panos Furs
Blade; fencing equipment. Was the official supplier
of the 1996 U.S. Olympic fencing team.
Corner (333 7th): Seventh Avenue Building;
Guy & Gallard, fancy coffee mini-chain, on the ground floor.
158: Modern Store Fixtures & Design Inc.
154: Yo Sushi; upstairs is the
People's Improv Theater.
146: The India Building; houses Best Vast Imports,
O-Bok Oriental Herbs Trading Co.
130: The Randell Press; "fine printers since 1925."
128: The address of The Rosaline,
musician Scott Joplin's home.
Art Directors Club, non-profit space housing
events and exhibitions related to commercial design.
Corner: America Gourmet Food, deli
Martinez Cigars, since 1974.
159: The Dress Company, wholesalers
135: Neo Vu Sunglasses; Sascha Ascher housewares
131: Joseph A. Biunno, antique restoration
129: Cross Towne Clothing Manufacturers
127: Springland Trading Inc., Chinese importers
123: Moon Belt Company
101: Assist International: Investigations
& Security Guards
Corner: Video Camera Sound
Corner (832 6th): Joe & Donna Costume Jewelry;
the beginning of a block filled with wholesale outlets.
This was (apparently) the site
of The Haymarket, the Tenderloin's
most famous dance hall. A venue for
"respectable vice," the dancers here
would give private exhibitions of the
cancan in curtained booths. O. Henry
and Eugene O'Neill both hung out here.
52: Paramount Party Supplies & Decorations;
also offers "Glowing Products."
50: Mississippi Trading
40: 7 Trading
34: The address of The Cairo,
a leading dance hall of the tenderloin era--
where the dancers moonlighted as prostitutes.
30: U.S.A. Hua Tai Group Inc.
Corner (836 6th): Pink Stone general merchandise
53: Boricua City, everything Puerto Rican
(upstairs from Pink Stone); Mission Accessory
51: New York Bakery, Korean in
a cute 3-story tenement
49: C&C Hat Factory; Moon Belt Company
39: EuroSport Bag is at the address of
John Daly's gambling den, the leading house in the
city from 1885-95. "Its food and wine were said
to rival Delmonico's"--Infamous Manhattan
37: One Trading Co.
35: Venice Enterprises of N.Y. Inc.
33: Was the address of Billy Tracy's
saloon. A thief and a forger, Tracy was shot
here in 1881 by Charles P. Miller, "king of
the bunco men." Tracy lived to later shoot
Miller more successfully.
Corner (1205 Broadway): Tomato, wholesaler
29th Street between Broadway and 5th Avenue has
been dubbed Norman Vincent Peale Way.
Corner (1186 Broadway): Opening in 1904 as the Hotel Breslin, it
was noted in its heyday for attracting
Joe Louis and
Gene Tunney fighting
at Madison Square Garden. In
1951, an 83-year-old
W.E.B. du Bois
was arrested here for running the anti-Korean
War Peace Information Center. Now an SRO
threatened with gentrification.
The ground floor houses
Silver Street, Speed
Zone Inc., Drama Ltd. Creative Clothing and
Previously on this site was
Sturtevant House, where on June 2, 1873, novelist
(and accused Confederate spy)
Mansfield Walworth was shot to death by his son for
making threats against the son's mother.
14: Singh Imports
2: Building with gargoyles, grape vines
and other gothic carvings
houses Rockaway Sportswear.
Corner: 29th Street Deli; Royal Sari House
Corner (1200 Broadway): This beautifully restored
cast-iron Second Empire
landmark is a former grand hotel (1872-1911), the first to
offer telephone service to guests. Noted for its bar
made of silver dollars, it was a favorite of Diamond Jim Brady and Oscar Wilde.
Converted to housing in 1979. Ground floor now occupied by wholesale
sellers like New York Sunglasses and Hair Accessories.
17: Panaria New York, candy store in wing of Gilsey.
15: Ash-Shallal Kebab Cuisine
13-9: Four-story tenements
11: Chandni Restaurant, halal food
9: Safenet Computer
5: Marble Collegiate Church Office,
an elegant red-brick-and-limestone building that houses the
New York Theological Seminary, founded in 1900 as the Bible
1 (corner): Built in 1854 for a congregation
that dates back to 1628, this
Dutch Reformed church is noted for being the pulpit of
Norman Vincent Peale,
who combined Christianity with motivational
speaking in such books as The Power of Positive
Richard Nixon attended this church
and was influenced by Peale; his daughter Julie
married Dwight Eisenhower II here in 1968.
Other famous weddings here include Enrico
Caruso's to Dorothy Benjamin in 1918,
Donald Trump's to Ivana in 1977 (he also
met Marla Maples there), and Liza Minelli's
to David Guest in 2002.
Corner (261 5th Ave): Interesting polychrome
houses Harounian Rugs.
10: Instrata NoMad,
50-story building with a gold pagoda on the roof.
Built in 1998 as the Madison Belvedere Apartments.
22 (corner): A really
nice-looking old hotel, built in 1904. In
1980, when it was The Seville (and apparently
not so nice), a victim of serial killer
Richard Cottingham was found here. On a happier
note, media critic
A.J. Liebling lived here in 1949-50.
Groucho Marx once worked here as a bellhop.
Corner (267 5th): Burton Building
houses Greek-owned Marathon Bank; was Portfolio Textiles.
1: When the Church of the Atonement on Madison
Avenue was asked to hold a funeral for actor George Holland
in 1870, the pastor suggested that there was a "little church
around the corner" that would be a more appropriate venue
for such a disreputable event as an actor's funeral. The
Church of the Transfiguration--as the place is formally known--
went on to hold funerals for actors Edwin Booth, James and
Lester Wallack, and Richard Mansfield, as well as writer
Henry. Woody Allen seeks religion here in Hannah and
The church rectory
served as a safe house for the Underground Railroad, and the
church sheltered African-Americans during the Draft Riots of
11: Sky House, a 55-story tower built in 2008.
In the TV show Daredevil, ninja love interest Elektra
lives in the Penthouse here.
15 (corner): Alpina Graphics
Corner (89-95 Madison): Emmet Building, a 1912
neo-Renaissance office building named for the gynecologist who
built it (and lived in the penthouse). Houses M & T Bank branch.
Lots of gargoyles and scholars.
30: Campanile, Italian
34: Home base of
NYC Indymedia, a grassroots media cooperative,
and of 2600,
a magazine for hackers. Used to be
Notwork, a sort of hackers' clubhouse.
40: Community Prep High School was
Murray Hill Borough Academy
44: Building demolished in 2008 was
Metal Polishers Local 8A.
48: Demolished building was Ixta, fancy Mexican named for a
Mexico City volcano; previous incarnations
include Nader Restaurant (Persian) and
Baba Neshan (Armenian).
Corner (420 Park Ave S): Demolished building was Interbank of New York
Corner (99 Madison): Habib American Bank;
headquarters of the U.S. branch of Pakistan's
29: Used to be the Martha
Washington, which was a residence for women only for
almost a hundred years after it opened in 1902. Once the home
of author Jacqueline Susann, the hotel was where the opening
scenes of the film version of her Valley of the Dolls was
In the early 1980s, the hotel housed Danceteria, a
nightclub and concert space where
Madonna sometimes worked.
She was discovered here when she persuaded
the DJ to play one of her tapes. The disco scene in Madonna's
film Desperately Seeking Susan was shot at the club.
Singer Sade served drinks at Danceteria, and Keith Haring
worked in the cloakroom. Years earlier, Veronica Lake was a
barmaid at the hotel.
33: 3-story tenement
35: Moldovan Mission to the U.N.
37: Was Green House Cuisine of China, in
the International Textile Building--a small,
ambitiously named townhouse.
43: Was Picasso Cafe
47: Cafe Journal
Corner (419 Park Ave S): Bowker Building,
a 1927 building noted for its odd polychromy. Houses
the Acme Safe Co., serving the roadrunner-hunting
community since 1904.
Corner (425 Park Ave S): Park Audio
103: The quaint
Deauville Hotel was
Sid Vicious' residence at the time of his
death; it also claims Courtney Love and football great
Jim Brown as former guests. In 1960, it was the
and you could stay the night for three bucks.
111: Resto, hearty Belgian; was a Baluchi's branch
115: Weissman Furniture
119-121: Schottenstein Hall, a dorm for
Stern College for Women.
Corner (135 Lexington): Spice Corner
130: Shaheen Sweets & Restaurant
Our Lady of the Scapular and St Stephen
Order of Carmelites; back entrance.
154 (corner): Habitat; apartment building
Corner (411 3rd Ave): Tonic is
a glitzy club built on the site of Sam's Noodle Shop.
202: The Koehler Building houses
230: Cafe Rustico, pizzeria
234: Firehouse for Engine Co. 16 and Ladder Co. 7
was built in 1967.
Ladder 7 lost six members on September 11.
Corner (519 2nd Ave): Paddy Reilly's, Irish pub
that boasts of being "the world's first and the only all-draft
Black 47 was the house band here.
Corner (415 3rd Ave): Bistango Cafe
201 1/2: A carriage house dating back
to c. 1790--one of the few 18th Century buildings
203: The White Wood House is a
rare wood frame building in
Midtown Manhattan, built 1870. On
the National Registry of Historic
217: Seems to be a fossil shop.
Johnny Thunders, ex-New York Dolls guitarist,
resided here at the time of his 1991 death in a
New Orleans hotel room.
Corner: Vincent F. Albano Jr
Playground; named for a local Republican
leader, this small park was built on
land purchased for the aborted Mid-Manhattan
Expressway. Features the Mary Collins Playscape,
honoring a community activist.
Kips Bay Court
Corner (500 2nd Ave):
Large apartment complex was built in 1976 as
Phipps Plaza West Apartments,
part of the
South Bellevue Urban Renewal program to provide nearby
affordable housing for Bellevue workers. "Phipps" is Henry
Phipps, a partner of Andrew Carnegie's who in 1905 founded
the nonprofit development group that carried out the project.
In 2002, however, people who put up money for the project
successfully sued to force it out of the
Mitchell-Lama nonprofit housing
Ben Gazzara lived at this address in the
late 1930s and 1940s.
332: Renwick Gardens, presumably named
James Renwick, who never would
have put his name on such a boring building.
338: The site of the
which hid part of a cache of Thompson submachine guns here
for the Irish revolution in 1921. (They were seized
by the feds en route.)
Berkley Park is a
16-story apartment building from 2000, designed by
Meltzer Mandl Architects around a central courtyard.
Built on the site of Our Lady of the Scapular
Church, established by Carmelite priests in 1889.
(A scapular is a holy cloth worn by the Carmelites.)
The church was called "the cradle of Irish independence
in America" by
Eamon de Valera, who took refuge here
after he escaped from a British prison in 1919.
Corner (491 1st Ave): East Bay Diner & Cafe
Corner (524-528 2nd Ave): Pinkerton
since 1979, a community garden and nature
center for the Madison Square Boys & Girls Club.
301: Madison Square Boys & Girls Club;
an early Modern 1940 building.
333: NYU Health Sciences Bookstore
This institution got its start in 1794, when the
city needed a site to treat victims of a yellow fever
epidemic far from the city center, they bought the
Belle Vue estate of Peter Keteltas, named for its
of the East River. In 1811 additional land nearby was purchased
from the Kip family.
Songwriter Stephen Foster, who fatally injured himself in
a Bowery flophouse, died here in 1864. Socialist
Congressmember Meyer London died here after being struck by
a car in 1926.
People used to refer to the emergency ward as the
Eastman Pavilion because gangster Monk Eastman sent
so many people here with his club.
It's most famous for its psychological services;
Dr. Norman Jolliffe's study of patients here helped
modern concept of
alcoholism. Santa Claus was sent to Bellevue for observation in
Miracle on 34th Street, and
Ray Milland dried out here in The Lost Weekend. In "For You," Bruce Springsteen sang that "They're waiting for
you at Bellevue/With their oxygen masks."
430: The Alexandria Center for Life Science is
described as NYC's "first and only collaborative urban campus for life science companies." In the movie Doctor Strange,
it appears as Metro-General Hospital, where the Ancient One is
taken when fatally injured.
440: Little River, American restaurant
Corner (520 1st Ave): Offices of the
New York Medical Examiner.
John Lennon, Andy Warhol and the Son of Sam
victims all came here after their deaths.